Challenging Behaviour for Mental Health Services
Ascend Learning Solutions
The overall aim of Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) is to improve the quality of a person’s life and that of the people around them. This includes children, young people and adults as well as older people
PBS provides the right support for a person, their family and friends to help people lead a meaningful life and learn new skills without unnecessary restrictions.
Who should complete the course?
This is ideal for all staff in the Learning Disability, Mental Health and Elderly sectors.
To introduce delegates to the key concepts surrounding behaviours that challenge, and further develop your ability to work more confidently with people who display these behaviours.
By the end of the course, delegates will have the skills to:
- Discuss stereotypes surrounding behaviours that challenge
- Describe a range of underlying causes for behaviours that challenge, including and the function of these for the individual
- Identify potential triggers for behaviours that challenge
- Describe the context and use of proactive and reactive strategies and include these in developing positive support plans
- Discuss the cycle of emotional arousal and identify how it functions in the workplace
- Respond appropriately to incidents of behaviours that challenge and know your role in managing these incidents
- Describe the effects of positive communication in de-escalation
- Explore the purpose and benefits of Positive Behaviour Support
- Develop a behaviour support plan
- Discuss restrictive interventions and when they could be used
- Discuss reporting and recording procedures
Observation, groupwork, discussion and case studies.Enquire Now