Dementia Awareness Tier 1
Ascend Learning Solutions
The term ‘Dementia’ describes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and/ or difficulty in thinking, problem-solving or language. People who suffer with dementia may experience changes over a long or a shorter period of time, and this course will assist in raising awareness in how to cope with these changes when seen in people around you.
Who should complete the course?
For healthcare workers or volunteers who want to gain an awareness of what dementia is, or as a refresher for experienced staff meeting their CPD requirements.
- To improve understanding of what dementia is, the common signs and symptoms and how the condition progresses
- To examine ways of supporting individuals with dementia in a person-centered way, that meets the Department of Health’s Dementia Education Framework (Tier 1)
By the end of the course delegates will have the skills to:
- State the current and anticipated prevalence of dementia in the UK
- Explain the nature and causes of some of the common types of dementia
- List some of the concerns and difficulties that a person with dementia will experience
- Describe the treatments and person-centred support approaches for dementia
- Identify the importance of effective and referential communication for the person with dementia
- Describe the importance of enabling the person to ‘live well’ with dementia, including meaningful occupation
- Discuss how the dementia strategy has influenced practice
Half day (3 hours)
Groupwork, participation and observation.Enquire Now