Self-Defence in the Workplace
Ascend Learning Solutions
Self-defence is one of those subjects that a lot of people ‘throw around’ without actually understanding what it means. Not only will this course give you some simple skills in how to safely get away from risky situations, it will also give you the confidence to know when and what is reasonable in terms of current legislation.
Who should complete the course?
Disengagement and breakaway training is aimed at anyone who is at risk of physical assault while at work, and is ideal for any person who feels they need to learn the skills necessary to disengage and deal with aggressive and frightening situations. This can be particularly helpful to build confidence for any setting, both professional and personal.
Delegates who take part in the training must have the physical capability to be able to undertake physical skills training.
To provide delegates with the knowledge and skills to be able to defend themselves in the workplace and community.
By the end of the breakaway element, delegates will have the skills to:
- Understand ‘reasonable force’
- Explore the requirements of the Human Rights Act 1998, and how they apply to breakaways
- Examine the requirements of health and safety statute and associated regulations and show how they apply to breakaways
- Identify and describe the relevant Acts of Parliament and other government regulations in relation to breakaways from vulnerable individuals and groups
- Understand the law in relation to the use of physical force for personal defence and the defence of others
- Explain the concepts of ‘reasonable force’, ‘necessity’ and ‘proportionality’
- Explain how legislation and guidance, relating to disengagement, impacts upon work with young people and vulnerable adults
- Demonstrate the appropriate and effective physical skills for breaking away and defending against a violent assault
- Demonstrate methods to protect themselves and others from blows
1 day, 2 day, or ongoing.
Participation, observation and role play.Enquire Now