Dementia Awareness Tier 2
Ascend Learning Solutions
The term ‘Dementia’ describes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and/ or difficulty in thinking, problem-solving or language. People who suffer with dementia may experience changes over a long or a shorter period of time, and this course will assist in raising awareness in how to cope with these changes when seen in people around you.
Who should complete the course?
This is aimed at professionals, volunteers or healthcare workers with some experience of working with people who are living with dementia, or who have attended the Tier 1 Course.
To provide a more in-depth understanding of dementia and associated issues relevant to their role in line with the Department of Health’s Dementia Education Framework, Tier 2.
By the end of the course delegates will have the skills to:
- Understand what dementia is, the diagnosis process and how to reduce and prevent risks
- Understand the key features in theoretical models of dementia
- Gain knowledge of the common types of dementia and their causes
- Understand ways that enable individuals with dementia to experience well-being and the importance of person-centred approaches in order to promote their independence
- Understand the role of carers and others in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand the factors that can affect and influence communication, interaction and behaviour
- Understand the importance of diversity and ways of working with a range of individuals with dementia to ensure their diverse needs are met
- Understand how to provide holistic end of life dementia care
- Be aware of the law, ethics and safeguarding aspects in dementia care
- Know the most common medications used in dementia care
Groupwork, participation and observation, case studies and video analysis.Enquire Now